I cook a lot of one pot meals. They are fast, easy, and satisfying. Plus they allow you to eat healthy while on a budget and when schedule gets crazy. Here I present a very simple yet high-flavor meal that will not break your wallet or your waste line.
- 5 lb. chicken thighs
- 1 cauliflower head, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. ground mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups water, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb. peas, frozen | optional
- 1 cup brown rice | optional
- In a Dutch oven or 5-quart heavy pot with a lid, heat oil over medium. Add onions and simmer on low for 3-5 min until it is golden brown.
- Add the rest of the seasoning, mix well, then add rice (optional), chicken, cauliflower, peas (optional), and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and partially cover; simmer on low for 1 hour.